Monday, April 03, 2006

Welcome to My Western

Howdy. If yer here, it's probably on account of me sendin you the URL. But, every horse's gotta drink his own water. For that reason, I've created this introductory Never Asked Questions Register, or naqr for short.
Question the first: What is this crap?
This 'crap' is an attempt to get myself to write regularly. The idea is that I've sent the URL to friends, family, persecutors and at least one prosecutor. Y'all will hopefully visit, ask me how things are and write comments, letting me know what you think about what I've done. Please restrict all comments to the content of this blog. Comments about driving, bathroom-cleaning-ability, geographical understanding of the sheets in my apartment, whether I phone or don't phone, etc will be either ignored or deleted. You've been warned!
Question the second: So how's this 'great idea' meant to work?
Well, I'm going to write on two levels here.
The first will be 'about the Western
'. This is a (roughly speaking) literary effort. So, I want to reflect how I see the times and the country I live in. Sometimes my opinions will be abstract, sometimes fairly straightforward. Anyway, the idea is to bash these thoughts into shape, and maybe introduce them in the story. It may work, it may not.
The second level will be parts of the Western. I guess it will be from this that most comments will be generated. I will be publishing little pieces - from sentences to whole chapters. The method of my publication remains in my subconcious, so I can't even advise you how it will work. However, your input will be much appreciated. You may not like the way something is written, you may feel there's a better way to do something, you may feel that something just doesn't quite work. It's all good. I will thank you graciously for your comment, and then
a) Amend the text accordingly, leaving a note to say what changed and who suggested the change.
b) Curse you under my breath, and ignore the comment, wholesale
c) pick up a chair, weighing scales, etc. and destroy it by thrusting it at a terminal velocity toward a wall. I will then cower on the floor, sobbing "Why doesn't anyone understand?" over and over and over again.
Question the Third: Why a Western?
Why a western indeed. Much by accident, really.
Well, primarily it appealed to me for no better reason than whim. However, to go about, yet again talking about the book I was going to write would only piss off me (somewhat) and others (moreso). So, this is a western as much by chance as anything else. I was in Donegal at a wedding (Ardara to be exact), and felt the rolling countryside would be a perfect setting for a Western. Anyway, A few weeks later, we had the revelations about actions of Gardai in Co Donegal. I want to note here this is in no way a political story. Rather, it just hit me that Donegal (and many parts of the country) truly are wilderness areas, frontierland if you will. Of course, this is after Nick Cave's Western set in the outback was released, so the level of originality here is below the average ravings of a beligerant Irish Republican drinking cider under the statue of O'Connell. However, take also into account:
  • The popularity of the Western with Irish people.
  • In fact, the American-ness of contemporary Irishness. We love being Irish almost as much as the yanks, and in a similar way.
  • The Western-ness of lots of small, sleepy towns. Once in Buncrana, I saw a guy get out of an electric blue Golf GTi, souped up to the nines. He was wearing all black clothes, with the 'country' swiggle/ floral pattern down the front. He had cowboy boots, with the relief pattern in leather and all. All in all, it was Johnny Cash with a kid's car and spilled Tip-X.
Anyway, add it all up, and you have a Western. There was more, but I've to go get my train. Laptop will be home with me most other nights, but this is Monday, so go to hell with ye. That's what I say every Monday.

Question the Fourth: What do you Mean 'Western'?
This is the most intelligent question no one has asked yet.

The Western Genre can be characterised by the following themes/ ideas (I will be following these in this story process. Please note, I know this isn't "all of it", I'm just going to use these for sure):
1> Stranger rolls into town
2> A drunken/outsider preacher tries to pass on wisdom but fails due to perceptions of him
3> A virginal girl/lady needs protection from uncivilised classes. Also, she may 'civilise' a barbaric character
4> Civilization/ Society vs individuality/ humanity is played out as a kind of war or battle.
5> Violence is everywhere (possibly as result of number 4 there)
Not all of this is set in stone, so if you have any suggestions that could further the theme, let me know.
This is essentially the 'high-level' model for the story. So, here we go.

Note: Westerns are, by their nature, bloody-minded things. I would appreciate if y'all took this into account when reviewing/ commenting. There is going to be some pretty harsh stuff written. Of course, I collect butterflies, so my idea of harsh is getting stuck with a taxidermist's needle.

3 comments:

chrismehigan said...

Hey Buddy,

I thought I would be the first person to comment. But Kieron beat me to it! Will be keeping an eye on this and commenting when I can.

Just waiting for the outburst..."You people don't deserve Westerns!"

Anonymous said...

Thanks y'all, 'preciate the support [tilts hat]. Goin fer a smoke now. Huge ego-rubbing project on outside today. If anyone wants to know what Ancient Rome's pomp was like, come on down to the NCI Iris unveiling! There's stilt-walkers, kiddie Irish dancers, a marquee (but no sangwidges I could find), a president, a richest man in Ireland, a swing band. It's like hedonism in Ireland's financial district.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bren, I like the idea of a western. I shall keep you up to date on my thoughts of it however you can expect my honest opinion!Your so weird sometimes!!!
Good luck with it
Jac x